Monday, January 30, 2012

A little indulgence . . .

I've obviously been going through Nigella Lawson's cookbook, "Feast". I have to admit I'm not a huge hot dog fan. But this recipe looked interesting enough and easy enough that I thought I'd give it a go. Especially because I thought my kids would like it!
So, this recipe is:
Pigs in a Blanket with Mustard Dipping Sauce
1 sheet puff pastry (just one box, I can't remember the size of the sheet)
1 package hot dogs (I prefer the all-beef, but go with what you like)
1 egg, beaten in a small bowl
Mustard dipping sauce:
(you can halve this if you want, we had a lot leftover, and I made the full recipe)
scant 1/4 c Dijon mustard
scant 1/4 whole grain mustard
2 T sour cream

1. Thaw the puff pastry according to the package instructions (either in the fridge or on your countertop). 2. Carefully unfold the sheet and spread it onto a floured surface. 3. Roll out just a little, rolling the long way, just to even and smooth it out. 4. Cut in half both directions (Since I am very type A, I used a ruler, but you can just eyeball it!), a pizza cutter works well for this. 5. Cut twice more, to halve each of the four pieces. You should have 8 pieces total. 6. Place a hot dog, lengthwise, on each piece (the puff pastry should be approximately the length of the hot dog). 7. Brush the puff pastry with the egg, then roll each hot dog in its piece of pastry. 8. Cut each wrapped hot dog in 4 pieces. Place on a greased baking sheet, seam side down. 9. Brush each "pig" with more egg wash. 10. Bake 15-20 minutes, checking after 15 minutes, the pastry should be puffed and golden. 10. Remove from oven, let cool slightly, and serve with the mustard dipping sauce. This fed 4, with quite a few leftover. Might make a great appetizer for that big game I've heard about this weekend . . .

So: This (of course) was a big hit with the kids. My husband and I really liked them, too--the dipping sauce made them a little more sophisticated and delicious. And, it was SUCH an easy weeknight dinner. Serve it up with a salad or some fruit, practically no work at all!
Photo courtesy of aperiodictableblog.com since I ALWAYS forget to take a photo until it's all over with and who wants to see a photo of our leftovers?!

No comments:

Post a Comment