Sunday, May 2, 2010

Update on Homemade Naan . . .

I know I haven't posted in a while . . . life just gets crazy and some things have to go by the wayside! I have a couple of posts I will sit down and work on soon, but wanted to give an update on the homemade naan bread from the shakshuka post. The recipe I listed makes a TON of dough, enough for 16 large pieces of naan. This is way too much for my family, and you can half the recipe, but it was too much of a pain for me last time. So, AFTER rising, I divided the dough in two, wrapped one half securely in press and seal wrap and stuck it in the freezer (I labeled it, too, because I don't know about your freezer but sometimes there are a few mystery items . . . ). Last night I wanted shakshuka again but didn't have the time to make the dough. So I took the frozen dough out, let it sit on the counter for a while (maybe 45 minutes), then divided it into 8 and rolled and cooked the naan according to the original recipe. When I divided it, some pieces were fairly cold and a tiny bit frozen still, but working with it warmed it up and when I rolled it, it was just fine. I was pleasantly surprised, the resulting naan was great, the only difference between the fresh dough was that the frozen resulted in slightly chewier naan, but it was still tasty and DEFINITELY worth the time/work savings for last night's dinner.
You can freeze other doughs, I've had varied results with them. Pizza dough tends to work out okay, bread dough is okay but I don't think it's as light with frozen/thawed dough. Just make sure if you're going to freeze dough that you do it AFTER the initial rise.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment