Saturday, January 12, 2013

Yummy Apple Pancakes

Sorry my photography leaves much to be desired on this one, but trust me the recipe makes up for it.
This is another recipe from "Jamie's America" by Jamie Oliver.  Again I've modified it very slightly.

AWESOME APPLE PANCAKES by Jamie Oliver, slightly modified
1 apple, coarsely grated, core and all
1 large egg
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 c milk 
pinch of sea or kosher salt
1 T honey (I think I added 1 1/2 T)
pinch of ground cinnamon

butter for cooking
plain yogurt, optional
honey, optional
cinnamon, optional
syrup, optional

Mix all batter ingredients together and whisk until well mixed.  Cook at about 375.  I prefer my electric frying pan because I can get and keep a constant temperature, but if you prefer, these can be cooked in a frying pan over medium-high heat, but you will have to watch the pancakes and adjust the temperature as needed.  Put a little butter in the pan and start cooking.
Cook the pancakes (about 3 at a time in the electric pan, or one at a time in the skillet).  Watch to see when the underside is golden, flip, and cook until other side is golden.
Move to plate and serve as desired: Jamie recommends a dollop of yogurt, honey, and a pinch of cinnamon.  But on a lazy Saturday when I haven't been to the store and we've run out of honey or yogurt (or both!), plain syrup is delicious, too. 

**A note about salt**
I read (I should know where but I don't!) that up to a teaspoon, it doesn't matter whether you use table salt or kosher salt.  I have experimented with that and think it's accurate.  And I like the superior flavor of kosher salt, I think it adds more flavor and zing.  So, if you like kosher salt like I do, pull it out and use it for baking too, not just sprinkling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment